I know that one of the most stressful things about have pictures taken is figuring out what your family is going to wear!
After all of these years of personal experience as well as shooting family portraits I have some tips to help you pick the whole family's outfits! You'll have perfectly styled portraits in no time!
1. No more matching colors! Luckily, (in my opinion) the white top, denim jeans trend is gone! Stick with colors that coordinate and fit in the same color scheme.
2. Moms - it's ok to pick YOUR outfit first! After all, your kids are definitely going to look cute in almost anything. This way mom can feel beautiful and still have control over what the family will be wearing. I suggest having mom wear long flowing dresses as they photograph really nicely and give it a timeless look.
3. Check out your home decor! This is important when picking colors because hopefully you are planning to hang those large images and you want them to go well in your home.
4. Limit patterns. One simple pattern or maybe two will be great, but having everyone wearing patterns could make your final image appear too busy. If you'd like to add some texture to your images I recommend adding more layers, scarves, necklaces or belts instead of patterns. Also, no characters or logos!
5. Keep it simple. Comfortable but stylish clothing is the way to go! We want to spend this time trying to capture your families connection and making memories. Also, keep in mind that we want theses photo's hung on your wall for years! Stick with classic and it will give your images that timeless look.
Still not sure where to go? I've created a Pinterest board specifically for color schemes that I love and know photograph beautifully.
My absolute favorite places to shoot family photography are Wheeler Farm in Midvale Utah and Little Cottonwood Canyon!